Science and Technology
At Ysgol Pen Coch we aim to promote interest and enjoyment in Science and Technology through real life and motivating experiences. Pupils will be provided with opportunity to explore and develop skills with the support of dedicated staff to build upon previous experience and learn about the world around us.
As the world continues to change and progress, Science and Technology draws together biology, chemistry, physics, computer science and design and technology to support our knowledge and understanding of the world around us.
At Ysgol Pen Coch we are currently designing our own Science and Technology curriculum that promotes the four purposes and allows pupils to investigate and explore meaningful experiences that spark curiosity and support learning. Our plans draw upon the four purposes of learning and the six what matters statements, which are the key aspects of learning for Science and Technology.
What Matter Statements
- Being curious and searching for answers is essential to understanding and predicting phenomena.
- Design thinking and engineering offer technical and creative ways to meet society’s needs and wants.
- The world around us is full of living things which depend on each other for survival.
- Matter and the way it behaves defines our universe and shapes our lives.
- Forces and energy provide a foundation for understanding our universe.
- Computation is the foundation for our digital world.
What does this look like for our pupils?
- Practical investigations
- Exploration of Forest School and outdoor learning opportunities
- Use of Interactive screens, ipads, computers to enhance learning
- Building activities using natural and man- made materials
- Using technology to create and communicate
- Sensory exploration
Use of sensory rooms individually and in small groups